Thursday, December 6, 2007

Internet Credibility

I think it can be hard to distinguish between credible sites and something a high school chemistry student wrote... The primary way I check is to see if the information on one site can be found on multiple other sites. This can be a simple way if multiple other sites have completely contrasting information. Another way can be if the site is a college or university website. This can usually be trusted. Otherwise sites like encyclopedia brittanica are always good. Also depending on what you are looking for there are specific sites that can be trusted, like, for example if you need information on drugs or diseases the CDC is always a good site to check out. Other than that I try to use my instincts to decide if the information could be false.

3 comments:

Zach said...

Great ideas on internet credibility. I agree with you that one must check information with multiple sites to make sure it is reliable. University websites too are always a sure bet.

Sandra said...

Jen, thanks for the comment on my page. I didn't know that! But now I will be a lot more careful. I like your advice too, and I will try to be less trusting. Thanks!

James said...

Good ideas. Sites such as EB and other trusted sources are good for gathering information. Still wikipedia trumps all <3